Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing, please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.
There’s no need to sacrifice the finer things in life on a dog-friendly holiday to the Lake District. Whether you are looking for stylish decor, characterful original features, spacious living spaces or romantic en-suite bedrooms, you’ll find lots of extra special properties that will provide a warm welcome to four-legged friends.
Here are ten luxury dog-friendly cottages for your next getaway to the Lake District:
This traditional Lakeland miner's cottage has been given a stylish makeover and is now a cosy retreat for couples and their furry four-legged friends. It’s tucked away in a secluded wooded area that’s located high above the Glencoyne Valley. There are wonderful views over Ullswater with lots of walks to try in the surrounding countryside, which is a haven for red squirrels.
- Characterful 19th-century stone cottage with original beamed ceilings
- Access to the property is via a porch and boot room - perfect for sorting out any muddy paws
- Property includes a cosy wood burner, AGA stove, and a romantic roll-top bath
Why we love it: Slate floors with underfloor heating throughout the ground floor of the property are just right for four-legged friends. The property has a picturesque setting close to Lake Ullswater and you can catch a dog-friendly Ullswater Steamer from the nearby Glenridding Pier.
Sleeps: 2 guests plus 2 dogs
This charming little cottage has bright, contemporary interiors and a location on the edge of popular Cartmel. The romantic double bedroom looks out over Cartmel Racecourse and the village’s assortment of dog-friendly pubs and cafes are just a short walk away.
- The comfortable sofa and roaring wood burner are perfect for a cosy night in
- Whip up a romantic meal for two in the well-equipped kitchen or head into Cartmel for a dog-friendly dinner at The Pig and Whistle
- Make the most of wonderful countryside views from the front of the cottage with a bench that’s just the right size for two
Why we love it: An enclosed courtyard garden is great for dogs and it comes with an outdoor summer house where you can relax with a drink as your canine companions play. There’s lots of great walks nearby including along the banks of the tranquil River Eea.
Sleeps: 2 guests plus 2 dogs
This luxury two-bedroom apartment is set within a grand Arts and Crafts property that was originally built over 100 years ago. The beautiful property has the feel of a 5-star boutique hotel with sumptuous fabrics, chic furniture, and lots of stylish touches. The very scenic location is close to Orrest Head, which has wonderful views over Lake Windermere and across to the Langdales.
- Sit outside in The Pavilion’s private south-facing courtyard terrace then take a stroll around Applethwaite Hall’s extensive shared gardens
- The gardens are bordered by fields and woodland that are a haven for local nature
- There are two bathrooms to go with two spacious bedrooms - one can be made up as a super-king-size double or twin bedroom for maximum flexibility
Why we love it: There are lots of thoughtful touches for dog owners including space to store leads and blankets and outdoor washing facilities. There’s also outdoor garden games and a range of nearby walks, from gentle shoreline strolls to challenging fell climbs.
Sleeps: 4 guests plus a dog
Wheelhouse Cottage looks out over the peaceful River Eea near Cartmel’s market square and comes with a hot tub in the garden for ultimate relaxation. The lovely living room in the original part of the house includes exposed ceiling beams, plump sofas and a wood burner. A modern conservatory houses the dining area with views of the stream via floor-to-ceiling windows that let in lots of natural light.
- There’s a secure garden for doggies to play in
- Enjoy access via a padlocked bridge to a private section of riverbank
- The 200-year-old property is a perfect blend of old and new with wooden parquet floors throughout the downstairs that are great for four-legged friends
Why we love it: Take your pooch for a wander around Cartmel’s pretty alleyways and cobbled streets - you’ll find plenty of places to stop for refreshments in this dog-friendly village. The coastal town and dog-friendly beach of Grange-over-Sands is also just a short drive away.
Sleeps: 4 guests plus 2 dogs
Bowfell is a dog-friendly Windermere holiday home with the wow-factor. The luxury cottage is nestled within 3 acres of shared gardens and includes vaulted ceilings, exposed stone walls and floor-to-ceiling picture windows that make the most of stunning views. Underfloor heating will keep cold paws toasty and warm, and human guests can indulge in some me-time at the fabulous on-site spa facilities.
- Wonderful on-site facilities include an indoor swimming pool, sauna, hot tub, and gym
- Enjoy an al fresco meal on Bowfell’s private covered patio
- Both luxurious bedrooms come with en-suite bathrooms, complete with spa-style monsoon showers
Why we love it: Bowfell has a wonderful Lake District location to match its stunning 5-star interiors. You can explore the large garden and grounds with your four-legged friends in tow then take a short drive to Windermere to hop on board a dog-friendly cruise of the lake.
Sleeps: 4 guests plus 2 dogs
Surrounded by lovely moorland and rolling fell, Barrow Hollin is the perfect country cottage to escape from the stresses of modern life. It’s tucked away in the Cartmel Fell countryside close to the southern tip of Lake Windermere and, with the peaceful Simpson Ground Tarn reservoir nearby, there are lots of options for dog-friendly walks. The luxurious Visit England 5 Star Gold-rated interiors include oak-panelled walls, country-chic furnishings and lots of thoughtful finishing touches.
- A games room with snooker table makes Barrow Hollin a great choice for family getaways
- Extensive landscaped gardens include a series of pathways and an old beehive barn with outdoor seating that’s ideal for summer BBQs
- The property’s useful boot room has been adapted for dogs with bedding, food and drink stations and lots of storage
Why we love it: The setting of Barrow Hollin is magical and there are wonderful views from throughout the property. Dogs will love exploring the large gardens then going on a walk with you in the tranquil surrounding countryside.
Sleeps: 6 guests plus 2 dogs
The wing of a grand country house, Thorphinsty Hall Cottage looks out to the Whitbarrow Scar Nature Reserve from a location that’s surrounded by hills and valleys on the western side of Lake Windermere. Drive down a lovely tree-lined lane from the top of Cartmel Fell and access this dog-friendly property via an old solid-oak front door. This luxury three-bedroom holiday home has lots of rustic country charm with exposed stone walls, ancient wooden beams and an oak dining table for family mealtimes.
- There are characterful touches throughout with feature fireplaces, stone alcoves and a wonderful four-poster bed in the grand master bedroom
- An enclosed garden works well for four-legged friends and includes a warming chiminea so you can relax on the patio furniture late into the evening
- The property includes a sociable den with comfy sofas and games console - there’s also a cellar with a pool table for a family games night
Why we love it: Thorphinsty Hall Cottage has everything that families could need for a Lake District holiday - and your four-legged family member can come along too. There’s an abundance of surrounding walks plus a dog-friendly pub at nearby Bowland Bridge.
Sleeps: 6 guests plus a dog
This 18th-century barn conversion is surrounded by unspoilt rural scenery and has dramatic floor-to-ceiling windows to make the most of the wonderful views. The stylish interiors of this four-bedroom property include two living rooms (both with wood burners) and a vaulted entrance hall with wraparound glazed gallery. The master bedroom even has its own private balcony where you can enjoy a peaceful morning cuppa.
- Carter Ground Barn has a sumptuous eight-seater hot tub where you can soak in the wonderful Lake District scenery
- With four golf courses nearby, this property is a great choice if you fancy teeing off and practising your pitching and putting
- There are extensive enclosed gardens for dogs to play in and outdoor washing facilities so you can clean up their muddy paws
Why we love it: This luxury dog-friendly holiday home has lots of space for everyone - including up to four canine companions. Outside there is a choice of four terraces, BBQ facilities, and bike storage so you can explore the surrounding countryside on two wheels.
Sleeps: 8 guests plus 4 dogs
This large, converted 19th-century mill has a riverside setting near Penrith and 4 acres of private grounds where dogs can sniff out an adventure or two. A sumptuous sitting room is filled with plump leather furniture and there’s a family kitchen that features a five-oven AGA plus an American-style fridge freezer. The property also features chunky exposed beams, wooden staircases, and a dining room that’s warmed by a double wood burner.
- Take a seat in your own private bar area, which comes complete with a dartboard and snooker table
- The grounds of Willow Mill include a tennis court, picnic area, and play equipment for children
- A family playroom includes a selection of games consoles, a couple of large screen TVs and a Ferrari driving wheel.
Why we love it: You can gather the whole extended family at this large luxury holiday cottage and dogs will have lots of space to burn off some energy in the large grounds and gardens. There’s a dog-friendly pub just 200 metres away plus a good selection of eateries in nearby Penrith.
Sleeps: 10 guests plus 2 dogs
This seven-bedroom property is located on the western edge of the Lake District National Park with the beaches of the Solway Coast nearby. There’s a warm and welcoming snug that’s perfect for cosy nights in with your four-legged friend by your side plus a bright and airy sitting room that has far-reaching views across the stunning Lake District countryside.
- A grand dining room is perfect for a family celebration meal - it even comes with a special serving kitchen complete with electric oven, wine cooler, dishwasher and additional crockery
- Dogs will love to snuggle by the AGA in the property’s large kitchen/diner - there’s also a connected pantry where you can store all their supplies
- Four-legged friends can explore the property’s enclosed garden while you enjoy uninterrupted views of this beautiful part of the Lake District
Why we love it: Ullock Mains is a grand holiday home that’s just right for a special family celebration. The large garden includes a BBQ, seating area, and outhouse where you can store bikes and wash off muddy dogs after an outdoor adventure in the Lake District National Park.
Sleeps: 14 guests plus 2 dogs
Plan your dog-friendly getaway to the Lake District
This is just a small selection of the luxury dog-friendly Lake District cottages available to book through Lakeland Cottage Company. Our dog-friendly guide to the Lake District is also full of inspiration for your next dog-friendly holiday with details of the pubs, restaurants and attractions that will welcome your four-legged friends. So whether you are looking for a cosy romantic bolthole or a family-friendly holiday home, browse our full collection and find the perfect base for your next getaway.