Thorphinsty Barn Access Statement
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for Thorphinsty Barn
Thorphinsty Barn is situated within a small hamlet in the heart of the countryside, in the Winster Valley, Cartmel Fell, Cumbria. The nearest community shop is 10-15 minutes drive away at Whitherslack and the nearest village is 20 mins drive to Milnthorpe or Cartmell. Kendal town is 30 mins drive away.
The converted barn is found towards the bottom of a steep road and has an easily accessible driveway leading directly to the front door with flat, level access. The driveway continues around the barn to a yard lower down that can park several cars. The drive runs straight from the yard to the road creating a drive through.
The property has 4 bedrooms and can sleep 8 people. All bedrooms are accessible by a short staircase either ascending or descending depending on the level.
We look forward to welcoming you.
If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone
our booking agents – Lakeland Cottage Company on 015395 38180 (international: +44 15395 38180).
- The nearest train station is Oxenholme which is a 30 minute drive away. Local taxis are available at this station. Thorphinsty Barn is not on a bus route. All GPS units seem to find the barn directly LA11 6NF.
- Lakeland Cottage Company will provide comprehensive directions with final booking confirmation and advise using these rather than relying only on SatNav.
- ASDA supermarket in Kendal will deliver to Thorphinsty Barn. As there are no shops close to the barn, on-line shopping in advance of your arrival is recommended, please ensure you are at the property to receive the delivery.
Key Collection, Welcome and Car Parking
- Lakeland Cottage Company will provide entry details in the final booking confirmation.
- There is a welcome pack in the kitchen on arrival along with brief instructions on the workings of the house including the wifi-internet access code and how the heating works.
- There is a detailed book all about Thorphinsty Barn showing the building renovations and what to do in the surrounding areas.
- Cars can be kept by the front door for ease of access. There is a gravel driveway leading down to the lower car park area.
- There are ‘motion activated’ sensor lights in the car park, at the front door, and the side of the barn.
Entrance to Property
- There are two entrances to Thorphinsty Barn. The main barn door is 840mm and the entry door is 760mm. The main barn door has a level entry and the entry door (the front door) has a raised threshold.
- There are no steps up to the property's front door and there is no handrail.
- The entrance porch both inside and out is well lit with overhead lights and wall lights in the hall and spot lights in the kitchen. The floor throughout the ground floor is tiled with under-floor heating. The bedrooms are carpeted with short pile carpets.
Halls, Stairs, Landings, Passageways
- The staircase descending to the master bedroom and snug is 900mm wide and has 7-8 steps. This is the same width as the short staircase, 7-8 steps ascending to the 2 rooms on the higher mezzanine level. The staircase ascending up to the bedroom above the kitchen is a circular design. All three staircases have a rope handrail on one side only.
- The barn is very well lit with spots and overhead and wall lights on all passageways, stairs and landings and in the main hall.
- There are 3 sitting rooms at Thorphinsty Barn. There is a seating group in the main barn area, and two further sitting rooms, the garden room just off the main barn and the snug downstairs. The seating group in the main barn area is one step down from the kitchen area. The garden room has a single step down into the room off the main barn area. The snug is on the lower level, about 7-8 steps down. The barn sitting room does not have any restriction on access to it. The garden room door is 760mm and the snug passageway and door is 760mm.
- There is spacing for a wheelchair between the armchairs and furniture in all 3 rooms. All furniture is movable and there are different height tables available. All areas are very well lit. The barn flooring is warm flagstone flooring, and the garden room and snug is carpeted with short pile carpets.
- There is a large dining room table in the middle of the barn that seats 10 people. It is easily accessible and can be moved if required. There is one step down from the kitchen to the main barn area where the table is with no obstacles for a wheelchair access.
- The dining table height is 760mm with 8-10 wicker chairs without armrests.
The lighting is excellent in the dining room with plenty of overhead and wall lighting. The flagstone floor has under-floor heating.
- There is a level access to the kitchen as you come in through the front door then one step down from the kitchen area to the main barn. The width of the door into the kitchen is 840mm.
- The hob's height is 900mm and the two ovens below it are at 300mm and have a drop down doors. The microwave is on the bench top and is 900mm high.
- The bench island in the middle of the kitchen is 900mm.
- The fridge has the freezer at the top which is 1400mm. The fridge's highest shelf is 1200mm and the space goes all the way down to the salad/veg ‘crisper’ drawers at floor level.
- There is a bench and table in the kitchen that can have 2 - 3 people eat casually. The table height is 750mm and the bench height is 450mm. The bench can be moved for wheelchair access.
- The higher cupboards containing crockery are 1400mm, however there is also crockery available in the lower cupboards and all items can be freely moved around.
- The Belfast sink has separate hot and cold taps feeding into a mixer unit. The kettle is cordless revolving 360 degrees. There is a 4-slot electric toaster, Nespresso coffee machine, food processor and various other appliances available.
- The kitchen has ceiling spot lights and also a freestanding lamp and the extractor fan is operated from underneath the oven hood.
The tiled flooring in the kitchen has a level surface and under-floor heating.
Bedrooms and Sleeping Areas
- There are no ground floor bedrooms. There is a room with ‘zip&link’ double bed and separate room with bunk beds on the mezzanine level, a super king in the master bedroom on the lower level and a king bed in the bedroom above the kitchen. This enables a carer to be close to any bedroom apart from the room above the kitchen. All bedrooms are carpeted and there is wardrobe and hanging peg space available.
- All rooms have TV and all TV's have subtitles.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms and Toilets
- From each of the main double bedrooms there is a level access bathroom. The door width into the bathrooms is 760mm
- There are 2 walk-in showers with raised thresholds and 3 baths. The height of the WC from the floor is 450mm. The height of the washbasins is 900mm and there is space underneath the basins.
- There are no rails or support in the showers or baths.
- The rooms are very well lit with LED / halogen down-lights. The rooms are bright and light, painted in neutral colours. In the 2 bathrooms that have the showers the floor is tiled. However the bathroom on the mezzanine floor is carpeted.
- The sanitary ware is all Heritage brand and has individual taps supplying cold and hot water to the basins. There are non-slip rubber mats for the baths.
- The utility room is on the same level as the kitchen and has the same flooring as the entrance hall and kitchen. The sink has a mixer tap. There is a drier and washing machine under the work bench. The room is lit by overhead spot lights.
- In the extensive garden there is a paved patio area with a garden table and chairs with arms. This area is accessible over stones from the main drive or from the garden room over a raised threshold. There is also a flat lawn area near the barn. The rest of the garden is a steep sloped gradient down to two ponds and the shepherd's hut. The ponds are not fenced off therefore parties with children should not allow them in this area unsupervised.
- We welcome trained assistance dogs and have a dog friendly area with a bed and dog bowls at the ready.
- The colour scheme of the barn is neutral with brown stone flag floorings.
- The nearest hospital is Kendal General Hospital (Accident & Emergency department).
- There is also a doctor's surgery at Grange over Sands.
- The barn is equipped with unlimited internet access which is free to guests
- There are many local attractions nearby which are detailed in the house book.
Address (Inc postcode):
Thorphinsty Barn Cartmel Fell Grange Over Sands LA11 6NF England
Bookings Agency - Lakeland Cottage Company:
Telephone 015395 38180 (international 0044 15395 38180)